I might have mentioned a million times that we are attempting to renovate our little cabin in the woods and I think I’ve also mentioned that Edward is not all that handy! So, needless to say, when he randomly started chipping all the tile off the bathroom wall I knew things weren’t going to end well. One wall of cream 60s tile gone only to find… black mold. But, that’s where all the renovations ended. So, as of three months ago, every time I go pee, I sit there, and look at a deconstructed wall and get irrationally upset each and every time.
I could deal with one wall being gone, BUT… it’s not just that! The wallpaper is coming up in bubbles everywhere, the house is old and crooked so the bathroom closet door creaks and gets stuck every time we open it, the seashell patter sink holds water and a few hours after cleaning it, there’s already pink mold growing in the crevices! Also, the linoleum flooring is coming up, the calking in the shower is a hot mess… and did I mention that our only bathroom at the moment is less than 40 square feet (counting the tub)! AHHHHH!!
I am a firm believer that separate bathrooms is the key to a happy marriage. I couldn’t stand sharing our old 150 square feet bathroom and now we have to brush our teeth in shifts; It’s the worst. But I have complained enough and now it’s just time for us to quit being lazy and actually start the renovations. So, in an effort to get the remodel started I have made an inspiration board of exactly what I’m looking for.
Because we don’t have a lot of space, I want to incorporate some light colors to make the space look bigger and brighter. In all of the research I’ve done for decorating small bathrooms, everyone suggests having a glass sliding door, however, the estimated cost would be between 1.2k -2k. That’s just not in the budget… So I’ve been trying to come up with other ideas, which sucks, because our only window in the whole room is in the shower. When the curtain is closed, it get dark and dreary, however, I hate having the curtain open! What am I going to do?! AHHH! If you have any ideas or advice I’d love to hear them!
Remodel To-Do List
- We also don’t have a large space for a big vanity so I have been trying to find one that is small while still offering plenty of storage space. So far these two are the contenders (one and two).
- Another potential project would be adding wall pockets in the shower so we can have space to put our products.
- As far as our bathroom storage closet, we are going to add in a few more shelves and possibly put a laundry shoot in the floor. We have a spiraling wrought iron staircase that leads to the second floor and it’s not at all convenient to have to carry anything down those stairs. I’ve already fallen like five times.
- Before Edward destroyed the wall, we had a heater built into the wall to help warm up the bathroom in the winter months. I NEVER used it because, well, I hate the heat and I was also sure it was going to catch the house on fire. I was always seeming to throw my clothes right on top of it. So we took it out and have been considering heated floors. We’ll see if I’m willing to put it in the budget.
- Decided on the color to paint the walls. We are doing white tile throughout so I would like to add some color to the room, but I still want it to be light. I considered a light grey, however, that’s the pallet we used throughout the house and I wanted the bathroom to have a little pop of color. I thought about blush… but that may be too girly for Edward. Any ideas?
- I’m excited to buy a few new and fresh pieces to decorate the room!