Working from home wrecked my life.
I woke up one day and I realized my life was a mess. I had no nighttime or morning rituals anymore. Was eating and snacking whenever I felt like it and I was letting work seep into my evenings and weekends. I no longer made time to take care of myself, somehow it hadn’t been a priority anymore.
All of that needed to change. So I did some research and that is when I implemented my own wellness challenge.
Studies say that it takes you 60 days to make a concrete change in your life. 60 days to implement a task every day before your brain registers it as a concrete routine.
So that’s what I did. I gave myself 60 days to shape up and get my life back on track and yes, I realize 60 days is a long time but this process was so important to me and I was going to give it my all. You should too if there is something in your life that you would like to change give yourself the time to implement it. Don’t try to rush things and turn it into a 30 days challenge or just something you’ll work on when you have time. Make it a priority each and every day until you see results.
So I say to you, let’s get started. Below I have added a few wellness challenges for you to browse through. Choose the one that best suits your needs and start bettering yourself today!
Take a digital detox… every evening!
Yes, I said it. Every evening. Give yourself at least two hours a day where you are not on your computer, not watching tv, and don’t have your phone in reach. Even if mindfulness and wellness aren’t important to you it is still necessary for this day and age to step back from social media and television.
- Get out a book and read a few chapters.
- Start a journal where you talk about aspirations and life goals, or just about your day.
- Spend some time taking up a new hobby and invest that time in mastering a new art. You can do everything from working on learning a new language to trying a new recipe you never thought you could do, or simply sitting down and sketching or doing some water coloring.
Basically, the possibilities are endless and I promise you that after those two hours you will be a much happier person and you will fell more fulfilled.
This one is so important you guys. How well you sleep will affect the following day in more ways than you know. To be honest I am still working on this challenge and I will have to say it has been the hardest for me. I ended up getting so anxious about the next day that I clench my jaw all night long, I toss and turn all night and I wake up several times throughout the night. It’s an awful experience and I end up waking up the next day sore, drained and in a shit mood.
I wrote an article a few months back about a few techniques I have started doing to help ease anxiety in the evenings.
- Start journaling. Write down all of your thoughts from your pit and peak of the day. What you are anxious about the next day. basically, write whatever your little heart wants. Just get it all out there on paper and try to confront your anxiety before your head hits the pillow.
- Take Melatonin. I will say this is particularly helpful when you have a big event the next day and you really need a good nights sleep. They are not addictive but they do become less effective the more you use them.
- Like I mentioned before, try unplugging for the two hours before you go to bed. Studies show that it is harder to fall asleep if you have been watching television or have been on your phone right before bed.
- Use essential oils and a diffuser to help fill your room with a wonderful lavender and frankincense aroma. Lavender is known to help calm you and will help you to fall asleep faster. I use a diffusor each night and a specially mixed blend that I spray on my pillows. I’m telling you it makes a HUGE difference.
- Make a nightly stretching routine to help stretch out the stress of the day. Here are 15 of the best poses to help you to get a better nights sleep!
Start a Morning and Night Beauty Routine!
You don’t want to turn around in your late 30’s early 40’s and realize that all those wrinkles and fine lines could have been prevented if only you took a few extra minutes each day to take care of your skin. This regimen should be used for men and women!
Each morning and evening you should make sure that you are:
- Washing you face.
- Using a toner! Washing your face isn’t enough, you need to get the extra impurities that are hiding deep down in your pores!
- Use an eye cream under your eyes and on your lids. Make sure not to pull the skin but just gently massage in the cream.
- Apply a serum. This will be the most expensive process but very worth it. I use Cliniques custom repair every morning and night. It helps to get rid of dark spots from scars, fine lines under my eyes and so much more.
- Moisturize!! Everyone loves soft skin.
- Put on sunscreen. Not only on your face but the rest of your body as well, especially if you are outside a lot. Sun spots are not pretty people. You should, however, make sure that you do have sunscreen on your face but most makeups and face lotions will have SPFS in them. My favorite brand is Clinique and they have a 15 SPFS in my foundation.
Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate
Pick up your favorite water bottle and carry it around with you everywhere you go! I know it sounds silly but I can almost guarantee you are not getting the hydration you need every day. I can attest that it is a very difficult habit to start but it is soo worth it. Since drinking more water each day I have not only seen a change in my skin (it’s very soft and dewy looking now) but it also helps a ton with my digestive issues.
On another note, if you drink a full glass 30 minutes before you eat it will help you to become full faster. So get in the8-8oz. glasses of water everyday people!! Also, here is a calculator for you to use when you are out and about and being particularly active.
Whew! I hope that this article was helpful for you. Hopefully, I was able to point out areas that you could work on and that I guided you in the right direction.
Your health and wellness are very important and it’s important not to get caught up in the businesses of the life around you, always remember to take care of yourself. If you have any more wellness techniques or suggestions I would love to hear them in the comments below!